There’s something special about veggie kabobs. These skewers, filled with vibrant vegetables, are a huge part of Mediterranean cuisine. The allure of grilled veggie kabobs lies in their presentation and the infusion of flavors achieved through precise grilling techniques and the use of fresh ingredients.
Rooted in Middle Eastern cuisine, kabobs have crossed continents and become a beloved part of many food cultures. The word kabob refers to meat (or vegetables) cubed and skewered, creating a convenient and delicious meal that can easily be cooked over an open fire.
At Luna Grill, we are among the most well-known makers of kabobs. Our renowned Mediterranean restaurant started in San Diego and specializes in creating healthy and authentic Mediterranean dishes.
We take pride in our commitment to providing tasty and nutritious Mediterranean food. While our menu features an array of options, our kabobs stand out. Let’s look at a veggie kabob recipe you can make in the comfort of your own home.
Step-by-Step Guide for the Perfect Grilled Veggie Kabob
The best veggie kabobs start with fresh and colorful vegetables. The choice is up to you, as many combinations will have your guests coming back for more!
What Ingredients Should I Use For Veggie Kabobs?
The foundation of a delicious veggie kabob starts with choosing the best vegetables. We recommend the following:
- Zucchini: This summer squash, with its mild flavor, soaks up the marinade beautifully.
- Red Onion:Red onion offers a slightly spicy punch, caramelizing beautifully on the grill.
- Red Bell Pepper: Sweet and crunchy, these peppers add a pop of color and flavor.
- Yellow Squash: Another summer favorite, squash is juicy and blends well with other veggies.
- Button Mushrooms: These mushrooms absorb flavors exceptionally well, giving a meaty texture to the skewers.
When prepping your veggies, ensure that you cut them into uniform sizes. This not only aids in even cooking but also presents an aesthetic appeal.
The secret to a tantalizing veggie skewer lies in its marinade. In a large bowl, combine the following: Olive oil, which acts as the base, lemon Juice, and balsamic vinegar to add zest and tang.
From there, you can season the marinade with oregano, black pepper, and Kosher salt.
Whisk them together until well combined in a large bowl. The magic is in allowing your veggies to marinate, soaking up this concoction for maximum flavor.
How To Prep a Veggie Kabob for Grilling
Before you even light up that BBQ, there’s some groundwork to be done:
- Marinating Time: Ideally, veggies should marinate for at least 30 minutes to an hour. However, the longer they soak, the better the flavor infusion.
- Skewers: You have a choice here. Metal skewers are durable and reusable and are what we recommend using. However, if you’re leaning towards wooden or bamboo skewers, remember to pre-soak them in water for about 30 minutes to prevent them from burning on the grill.
- Skewering Veggies: Alternate between the vegetables to create a colorful array. Also, ensure they aren’t packed too tightly to allow even cooking.
How To Grill Veggie Kabobs
Grilling is where the magic truly happens for your Veggie Kabos. When grilling your kabobs, keep the following tips in mind.
- Preheat: Always preheat the grill. Those grates should be sizzling hot.
- Grilling: Place the vegetable skewers on the grill, cooking them on medium-high heat. This ensures they’re cooked evenly without getting too charred.
- Turn Regularly: Use tongs to turn the veggie kabobs ensuring all sides get those coveted grill marks.
- Cook Time: Depending on your grill’s intensity and the thickness of your veggies, it generally takes between five and 10 minutes to get them to 135F.
How To Serve Grilled Veggie Kabobs
Once off the grill, these kabobs can be served in several ways. You can serve your delicious veggie kabobs as a main dish, pairing them with gluten-free grains or proteins such as Lemon Garlic Chicken.
You can also serve the kabobs as a side dish with other complementary dishes like Mediterranean Pasta. If you have leftovers, ensure they’re stored in an airtight container, preserving their freshness and flavor for the next meal.
Here’s a quick review of the recipe that makes eight servings.
|24 ea.||White Mushrooms||Cleaned.|
|32 pieces (about 4 large peppers)||Bell Pepper||Cleaned and sliced into 2 x 2 squares|
|32 pieces (about 1 large onion)||Red Onion||Cleaned and cut into 2 x 2 squares|
|32 pieces (about 2 zucchinis)||Zucchini||Cleaned and cut into 2 x 2 squares|
|32 pieces (about 3 to 4 large squash)||Yellow Squash||Cleaned and cut into rounds ~ ½ inch thick.|
|2 cups||Marinade||2 Tbsp Minced Garlic
1 Tbsp Salt
1 tsp Black Pepper
1 Tbsp Oregano
3 Tbsp Fresh Lemon Juice
1 1/2 cups EVOO
½ cup Balsamic Vinegar
- Place all cut vegetables into a bowl.
- Prepare your marinade by mixing and whisking all the ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Pour the dressing over veggies, toss them to coat, and marinate for 30 minutes to an hour.
- While veggies are marinating, soak wooden skewers in water or use metal skewers.
- Thread veggies onto the skewers.
- Grill on medium heat for approximately five minutes on each side until veggies reach 135F and golden grill marks are visible.
- Remove the vegetables from the skewer with heat resistant glove.
Tip: Cut the vegetables as close to the same size as possible to ensure even cooking.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days.
Are Veggie Kabobs Good for You?
When we delve into the Mediterranean-inspired Grilled Veggie Kabob, it’s evident that its charm extends beyond taste to its health benefits. At the core of these kabobs, we discover several nutrients.
Vegetables like zucchini, bell pepper, red onion, cherry tomatoes, summer squash, and yellow squash bring a wealth of vitamins, notably vitamins C and A, to our plate. Simultaneously, portobello mushrooms add a meaty texture and a depth of flavor and nutrition.
These veggie kabobs shine as a source of high potassium and calcium while keeping cholesterol and total fat to a minimum. Carbohydrates in these ingredients also offer sustained energy, making these skewers a nourishing choice for those keen on healthy eating. In every bite, you’re relishing a Mediterranean masterpiece and fueling your body with nature’s best.
Wrapping Things Up
Embarking on the journey of Mediterranean culinary delights, the Grilled Veggie Kabob stands out both in flavor and nutrition. Whether hosting a BBQ or seeking a wholesome meal, they are a testament to the magic of fresh ingredients and meticulous preparation.
As you savor each bite, remember that Luna Grill channels this very passion and expertise into their offerings. So, when craving delicious Mediterranean food but you’re not in the mood to cook, Luna Grill awaits. Delight, dine, and discover!