Craving a refreshing yet delicious Greek Salad that is a bit different from the ordinary? Maria’s Greek Village Salad recipe is one from and for the heart! Made with fresh veggies like tomato, cucumbers, bell pepper and cucumber + high quality oil like olive oil mixed with Apple Cider Vinegar, this recipe is the perfect heart-healthy dish to serve at your table. It is best served with a slice of toasted whole grain rustic country bread which is delicious for dipping into the dressing! This salad can be a meal unto itself or accompanied by a piece of grilled fish or chicken for added protein.
Fun fact – did you know that a traditional Greek Salad does not include lettuce? The reason being it is very challenging to harvest and come by in this area! Hear Maria chat about this while she makes the video with ABC 10 News here.
Maria’s Greek Village Salad Recipe
Serves 2-3 as a side dish/ 1-2 as a main dish
Total time: 10-15 mins to prepare
- 3-4 medium tomatoes – cut into wedges then cut in half
- 4-5 cucumbers preferably Persian variety, cut into small round pieces (leave skin on if they are Organic)
- ½ small red onion sliced into thin slivers
- 8 Kalamata Olives (optional)
- 6 ounces feta cheese cut into cubes
- ½ red bell pepper, remove seeds and cut into wedges and then halve
- 2 TBSP EVOO, plus more for drizzling
- 1 TBSP of Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV)
- Pinch of dried oregano
- Salt and Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Cut and place tomatoes in a medium sized salad bowl and sprinkle a little salt over them and give them a good toss so they can start to release liquid.
- Cut and place Cucumber, Onion, Bell Pepper and Feta in the bowl with the tomatoes
- Add 2 TBSP EVOO as well the ACV and give it a good toss. Season with fresh ground pepper, a little more olive oil and salt to your liking
- Top the salad with the Kalamata olives and a pinch of Oregano
Screenshot the images below to save the recipe on your phone!