For this week’s Heart Month feature, we are bringing you a Greek twist on a family classic with Maria’s Fasolakia Yahni AKA Braised Greek String Beans. This recipe comes directly from Maria, Luna Grill’s Co-Founder and Chief Cuisine Officer’s, kitchen and is a favorite in her household! The best part? It’s simple to make with minimal ingredients required. It’s also one of those recipes that you can prep, begin to cook, and leave on the stove to simmer while you finish the laundry, cook your main dish, check emails or catch up on your favorite show. Try it out and let us know what you think!
Maria’s Greek Style Braised String Beans Recipe
Follow along as Maria makes this recipe with ABC 10 News here.
2 lbs Fresh String Beans (look for ones that are bright in color with minimal wrinkling and bruising)
½ cup Olive Oil
1 large yellow onion chopped
3-4 fresh tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped OR 1 8-oz. can tomato sauce
2 cups warm water
Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Rinse Green beans, snap off ends and cut in half if desired.
2. Heat oil in a 6 quart pot at medium heat until shimmering, add onion and continue to stir until onion is tender and slightly translucent but not brown.
3. Stir in chopped tomatoes or tomato sauce, 1 tsp salt and ½ tsp fresh ground pepper and lower the heat and allow it simmer for 5 minutes.
4. Add warm water, bring to a boil and quickly add the string beans, stir until beans are coated in tomato sauce.
5. Cover the pot and cook over low heat for 40 minutes or until beans are soft and a thick sauce remains.
Zucchini wedges and tiny potatoes can be added to this dish, approximately 20 minutes after the green beans are added. I like to make this a meal by enjoying it with a nice slice of Feta cheese, and/or a slice of bread.
Screenshot the below photos to save this recipe on your phone: