Heart Health Month Recipes
Chef Ron’s Baba Ghanoush
2 medium eggplants
2 tablespoons tahini
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Pinch sea salt
Pinch black pepper
Drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons coarsely chopped parsley
2 pita breads, toasted, cut into sixths (12 slices of pita)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Roast the eggplant in 400 degree oven until very soft and the skin has become lightly charred (25-30 min). If the eggplant is soft and the skin not yet charred, you may place them directly over a gas flame on the stove to lightly char the skin.
- Once completed, allow the eggplants to cool. When cool enough to handle, slice in half lengthwise and scoop out the flesh. Transfer the flesh to a cutting board. Chop with a knife until the eggplant is the consistency of a very coarse dip.
- Drizzle the tahini, lemon juice, salt and pepper onto the eggplant. Fold these ingredients into the dip. The eggplant should thicken from the tahini and hold it’s shape.
- Transfer to a serving dish. Flatten with the back of a spoon. Drizzle generously with olive oil. Sprinkle chopped parsley over the top. Serve with the toasted pita bread.
This is a simple and classic Baba Ghanoush recipe that is delicious and nutritious as is, but can also be embellished. Try adding some roasted and chopped green bell peppers, or roasted mashed garlic, and other spices like ground cumin or smoked paprika.
Try it at home and let us know what you think!